|OXFORDSHIRE HEREFORDSHIRE SHROPSHIRE STAFFORDSHIRE WARWICKSHIRE WORCESTERSHIRE||
"Those who have gone before us in faith"
Return to Catholic-History
The MIDLAND CATHOLIC HISTORY SOCIETY was formed in 1996 by the merger of the Staffordshire Catholic History Society and the Worcestershire Catholic History Society. Staffordshire was founded in 1960 and Worcestershire in 1962 (amalgamated with the Federated Western Marches in 1981).
Both Staffordshire and Worcestershire were included in the Midland Vicariate Apostolic (1688-1840), and the Central Vicariate (1840-50) and the Diocese, later Archdiocese, of Birmingham (1850-), so there was a certain logic in combining the two journals as Midland Catholic History
The two journals were merged in 1991 and this allowed the regular appearance of a well produced publication drawing on material from all over the Midlands. The Worcestershire journal, Worcester Recusant, had long included material from Warwickshire, Herefordshire and Shropshire.
Midland Catholic History contains articles on post-Reformation Catholic History, of interest to the general reader as well as to historians and antiquarians, and an essential aid to the local Catholic historian.
Back issues of Midland Catholic History and its predecessors, Staffordshire Catholic History and Worcester Recusant are available from the Treasurer, Mr Vincent Burke; the charge is £5 but discounts are negotiable for purchasers of a number of issues. There is an Index of articles.
The object of issuing a Journal for the Society is not only to impart information but also to elicit such from its readers. We would therefore ask anyone who could correct or amplify articles not to be hesitant in sending in such information. Articles for publication may be sent to either Editor.
NEW MEMBERS WELCOME
Cheques payable to Midland Catholic History Society
Updated 4 March 2013